Social security (Health insurance) in France

Do you have any questions?
Would you like more information?

Social security for foreign students

Are you coming to undertake or continue your studies in France?

Register on the site dedicated to welcoming students, in order to benefit from the payment of your health costs when you arrive in France.

This process is also required if you are French from New Caledonia or from Wallis and Futuna or if you are French born abroad.


In anticipation of your arrival in France for your studies, you must apply for affiliation to French social security by registering on the dedicated site of the Assurance Maladie.

Fill in the information and submit the supporting documents on the site

You are asked to enter the required information :

  • name ;
  • surname ;
  • date of Birth ;
  • place of birth ;
  • e-mail ;
  • postal address in France ;
  • phone number.

You are asked to submit the required supporting documents :

  • national identity card, passport ;
  • residence permit ;
  • certificate of education for the current year ;
  • certificate of parental authorization (if student under 16) ;
  • IBAN for your refunds;
  • civil status document required to create your identification number (commonly known as “social security number”). The accepted civil status documents are:
    • a full copy of the birth certificate,
    • a birth certificate extract with filiation (or any document drawn up by a consulate),
    • a family record book,
    • a marriage certificate.
  • International agreements and conventions may provide for other supporting documents, see the section “Other documents for your registration according to your country of origin” below.

Keep the provisional social security number that was assigned to you automatically by the site and download your provisional certificate of affiliation to Social Security.
You can submit missing or non-compliant supporting documents in the personal area.

Once your registration has been validated, you can download the final certificate of affiliation to Social Security (certificate of rights).

If you were unable to register online, call 36 46 (free service + cost of the call). If necessary, a call center will answer you in English.


  • If you are affiliated as a family member of an international civil servant with the social security system set up by the international organization to which he depends (for example, the social system of the European Union), you must not register on this site.
  • If you are an EU / EEA or Swiss national, you can apply to the social protection organization in your home country for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Consult the List of countries in the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) page on the website. As long as it is valid at least until the end of the academic year, this organization continues to cover your reimbursements. In the event of illness, you will only have to pay the user fee, upon presentation of this card or the provisional certificate of issue thereof to professionals and health establishments. You do not have to register on the site.
  • If you are a citizen of the Principality of Monaco, ask your Monegasque social security fund before your departure for a certificate of rights specifying your affiliation with Monegasque health insurance. You do not have to register on the site: when you arrive in France, you will present this form to the professionals and health establishments that you consult.


You have immediate access to reimbursement of your health costs by French health insurance (health and maternity insurance). In the event of an occupational accident or illness, you can also benefit from coverage. To find out more: Student: your support

You will be given a definitive social security number.

It will allow you to create your ameli account: it is your personal space which will allow you to access all your services from your computer, your mobile or your tablet, to consult your reimbursements, download your certificates, contact an advisor by e- mail …

On this account, you can also fill out the online form to request your Vitale card by providing supporting documents (recent identity photo and identity document).

Note: do not forget to declare your attending physician, during a consultation with a doctor in France, in order to be properly reimbursed.

do not hesitate to contact us.

Infographie : S’inscrire à la Sécurité sociale en France. Tout le contenu est traité ci-dessus

For more information, visit the Health Insurance website.


You might also like ...

Elinor, USA

Elinor, USA

I am very grateful to the StraLang Institute. Diane is a very competent and patient teacher. Thanks to her, I learn a...

read more
Internal rules

Internal rules

I- PREAMBLE The Stralang Institute is a private higher education establishment declared to the Rectorate of the...

read more
Catalog and brochures

Catalog and brochures

Stralang Brochure: Academic year Stralang Brochure: Adult summer course Stralang Brochure: Summer Courses for Juniors...

read more