Social Security for foreign students

Are you coming to study or study in France? 

Register on the website dedicated to the reception of students, in order to benefit from the coverage of your health expenses on your arrival in France. 

This process will be asked whether you are French from New Caledonia or from Wallis and Futuna or if you are French-born abroad.

1) You register on the ETUDIANT-ETRANGER.AMELI.FR website

In anticipation of your arrival in France for your studies, you must apply for membership in the French Social Security by registering on the dedicated student-foreigner of Health Insurance. 

Fill in the required information and deposit the supporting documents on the site 

You are asked to enter the required information: 

  • Last name; 
  • First name(s);
  • Date of birth; 
  • Country of birth; 
  • E-mail address; 
  • Postal address in France; 
  • Telephone number.

You are asked to submit the required supporting documents:

  • National identity card; passport;
  • Residence permit (titre de séjour ou visa étudiant)
  • Certificate of education for the current year; 
  • Certificate of parental authorization (if under 16 years old)
  • IBAN for your refunds
  • Civil status is required to create your identification number (known as a “social security number”). 

Accepted civil status documents: 

  • Birth certificate
  • Birth certificate extract with filiation (or any document made by a consulate)
  • Family record book
  • Marriage certificate 
  • International agreements and conventions may provide other supporting documents, see below the chapter «Other documents for registration according to their country of origin».

Keep the provisional Social Security number that has been automatically assigned to you by the site and download your provisional Social Security membership certificate. It may deposit the missing or non-compliant supporting documents in the personal space. Once the registration has been validated, you can download the definitive certificate of affiliation to Social Security (certificate of rights). If you have not been able to register online, call 36 46 (free service + call cost)

If necessary, an advisor will respond in English.


  •  If you are affiliated as a family member of an international civil servant with the social security system established by the international organization on which you are affiliated (for example, the European Union social system), you should not register on this site.

  • If you are an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen, you can apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the social protection agency in your home country. See the List of countries of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) on Liste des pays de l’Union européenne (UE) et de l’Espace économique européen (EEE). As long it is valid, at least until the end of the academic year, this organization will continue to cover your reimbursements. In case of illness, you will only have to pay the user fee, upon presentation of this card or the provisional certificate of issue of the same to the professionals and health institutions. You do not have to register on the site. 

  • If you are a national of the Principality of Monaco, apply to your Monegasque social security fund, prior to your departure, for a certificate of entitlement specifying your affiliation to Monegasque health insurance. You do not have to register on the student-foreign upon arrival in France, you will submit this form to the professionals and health facilities you will see.

Is it true that EHIC is issued free of charge by the relevant authorities in your country?

According to the SchengenVisaInfo – EHIC website in which you can find, How does a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) work? What does EHIC cover? How much does it cost? Is it still used after Brexit? How can you apply, validity, and all the necessary details?

For further information on the EHIC, please refer to the website.

2) As soon as you receive your provisional number

You have immediate access to reimbursement of your health expenses through French health insurance (sickness and maternity insurance). In the event of an accident at work or an occupational disease, you can also benefit from care. 

A definitive social security number will be provided.

It will allow you to create your ameli account it is your personal space that will allow you to access all your services from your computer, your mobile, or your tablet, check your refunds, download your certificates, contact an advisor by email…

In this account, you can also fill out the online form to request your Vitale card by providing the supporting documents (recent identity photo and ID). 

Please note: do not forget to inform your family doctor, in consultation with a doctor in France, to be well reimbursed.

Do not hesitate to contact us.

For more information, visit the Health Insurance website.


Infographie : S’inscrire à la Sécurité sociale en France. Tout le contenu est traité ci-dessus

For more information, visit the Health Insurance website.

Source :